Applying for VA Pension as a Retired Veteran

Many of our veterans don’t know that they are entitled to claim VA pension benefits when they turn 65 years old. And that they do not have to be disabled to receive Basic Pension. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides supplemental income for low-income, retired, wartime veterans, both able-bodied and disabled in the form of Basic Pension, Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits.

The purpose of this article is to help retired veterans get started in the process of applying VA Pension by preparing the necessary documentation to prove eligibility and successfully apply for benefits they rightfully deserve for their service to the country.

Below is a list of documents that the VA may require, depending on the applicant’s circumstances, to process the application. For the complete information check out the VA Pension Application webpage.

What’s Next?

Once all forms are complete and supporting documents compiled, make and retain photocopies of the originals. Intent to file forms and completed applications can be submitted to the Pension Management Center (PMC), at a nearby regional benefit office

Veteran Service Officers (VSOs) who work at VA regional offices may be able to offer free basic guidance and answer simple questions about the benefit. VSOs volunteers throughout the U.S., frequently at hubs for veterans like American Legion halls and Veterans of Foreign Wars lodges may offer reliable advice. Veterans’ organizations like the VFW, American Legion and DAV (Disabled American Veterans) may be able to provide information about the benefit as well as free assistance to prepare an application.

Read the Guide to Long Term Care Benefits For Veterans to determine your eligibility for these pension benefits. Once you’ve determined that you might qualify for VA Pension and Attendance and Aid Benefits, book your free consultation meeting with our team at Crider Law and we’ll help you apply for the benefits.

Whether you need assistance with putting together the documentation and complete a successful application or just want to learn more about your rights and entitlements under the VA pension program, reach out to us. Your first consultation meeting is free.


Form Links needed for application:

  • Intent to File Claim FORM 21-0966
  • Basic Pension Form for Veterans FORM 21P-527EZ
  • Medical Expense Report FORM 21P-527EZ
  • Request for Nursing Home Information FORM 21-0779
  • A Statement Of Occupancy From The Assisted Living Community Examination For Housebound Status Of Permanent Need For Aid & Attendance FORM 21-2680
  • General Release For Medical Provider Information FORM 21-4142A
  • Authorization To Disclose Information To The Va (One For Each Physician) FORM 21-4142A
  • Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to a Third Party (son, daughter, in-law) FORM 21-0845
  • Statement In Support Of Claim FORM 21-438
  • Original Military Discharge Papers (Do Not Send A Photocopy) DD-21

750 F Street, Suite 2
Davis, CA 95616

333 University Ave, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825

3017 Douglas Blvd, Ste 300
Roseville, CA 95616

288 Pearl Street
Monterey, CA 93940

San Antonio
18756 Stone Oak Pkwy, Ste 200
San Antonio, TX 78258

We operate on an appointment-only basis other than our Davis office.

Skip to content